Ascend Supplemental Orientation
ASCEND Quick Facts:
- Location: Appalachian State University (Boone, NC)
- Cost: FREE!!!
- Length: August 15th-18th, 2022
- Who Can Apply: Any incoming first-year (first-time or transfer) App State student. Students of marginalized identities will receive special consideration.
- The deadline for completed applications is August 1st, 2022, @ 5:00 pm.
Applicants will receive communication regarding their application by the first week of August 2022.
Ascend functions as a supplemental orientation program focused on students of first-generation and other minoritized identity populations. The program collaborates with the Office of Intercultural Student Affairs, the Black Male Excellence Initiative, and the Disco Student Learning Center. Ascend will provide participants with workshops and mentors before the beginning of the fall semester to equip them to transition to college.
During the four-day program, students will attend workshops on the following topics:
- Time Management & Organizational Skills in College
- Academic Strategies & Effective Study Skills
- Technology for Advanced Learning
- Destigmatizing Mental Health in Minoritized Communities & On-Campus Resources
- Major & Career Exploration
- Consent & Safe Sex
- Financial Literacy for College Students
* Before being accepted to Ascend, the Office of Intercultural Student Affairs will confirm that you have registered for New Student Orientation. Every new student must register for and attend New Student Orientation. To register, please visit the Orientation website.
** The experience of each of our participants is our first priority in all our programming. Therefore, by applying for the Ascend program, you are agreeing to fully participate and engage in all activities, even those that may be new or uncomfortable for you.
Questions can be sent to Will Sheppard (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jainny Estrada (email@example.com).